Monday, May 7, 2012

sudorific

Word of the Day
Monday May 7, 2012

I really liked today's word; it so fittingly describes our sultry, humid weather in the South!

sudorific \soo-duh-RIF-ik\ , adjective:
1. Causing sweat.
2. Sudoriparous.
noun:
1. A sudorific agent.
Having thrown him into a cold sweat by his spiritual sudorific, he attacks him with his material remedies, which are often quite as unpalatable.
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Medical Essays, 1842-1882
Wracked by such sudorific thoughts, he tossed noisily about, maddened, aching.
-- Angela Huth, South of the Lights
Every sudorific hitherto employed had failed to produce this result upon a skin which horrible diseases had left impervious.
-- Honoré de Balzac, Cousin Pons
Sudorific comes from the Latin word sūdor meaning "sweat." The word "sweat" is unrelated and comes from the Old English, swote.

2 comments:

  1. Are you bored or what???????????? Who likes to look up words in the dictionary:) LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm NOT bored! Don't know that I ever have been! lol! I just love to learn, so I get a word every day on my igoogle homepage! ;) I don't go scouring the dictionary!

      Delete