Saturday, May 19, 2012

Happy Birthday Neil!! {and birthday cake ice cream recipe}



Last night, we celebrated Neil's 3rd birthday.{which is today} Wade grilled some awesome hamburgers over charcoal, and we ate outside. Rhonda did a "Construction" themed party; the carport looked very festive adorned with balloons, caution tape, and strings of lights. The cake she made looked even cuter than the one pictured here that she used for the idea! Neil was so thrilled about his birthday; it was so funny after we sang "Be Present" for the prayer before supper he said "I didn't like that song!" So then we sang "Happy Birthday" and asked him if he liked that one! He said "YES!" and looked so pleased with himself! Later he told me so seriously "I've been 2 for terrible long!" Lol! I made homemade ice cream to go with the cake; a 6 qt. of vanilla, and 1 qt. of birthday cake! I had made it last year for the Last Day of School Picnic, but of course {sanguine me!!} did NOT write down anything about how I made it! So I'm back to experimenting and combining recipes and ideas to come up with my own. The following recipe is what I came up with; we all really liked it, at least those of us that tried it! Danl is a die-hard vanilla fan and doesn't appreciate my dabbling with creating various flavors! I may try adding some frosting yet; a lot of recipes and store-bought versions have it in. But, I don't want it to get TOO sweet.


Sharon's Bday Cake Ice Cream

Make 6 qts.

6 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 box Junket vanilla ice cream mix
3 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups yellow cake mix {dry}
1 T. French vanilla extract
2 cups rainbow sprinkles

Beat the eggs and sugar until light-colored, then add Junket and beat on high for 5 minutes. Add the whipping cream, salt, cake mix, and vanilla stirring until completely mixed. Pour into 6 qt ice cream freezer, then add milk until 1 1/2 inches from top of can. Freeze according to manufacture's directions. For sprinkles, either add near the end of freezing, or stir them in after it's done. Happy eating! :)

I just had a bowl for an afternoon snack, and did it ever hit the spot!




3 comments:

  1. The ice cream looks delicious! It was 90 here yesterday so on one of these warm days I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious, wish I could come eat a bowl with ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake was awesome! A good ole chocolate with over sweet choc buttercream frosting. I love cake! which is a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete