Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Denied December

December is the time for getting things, not giving things up, right? But ever since one of my friends mentioned “Denied December” in conversation, I’ve been pondering about consciously denying myself this month. Self-denial sounds unpleasant, but in practice it’s actually like giving yourself (and others) little presents! How fitting for this Christmas Season! Deny yourself 5 minutes of squandered scrolling to instead unload the dishwasher, and Poof! You’ve given yourself 15 additional minutes of family time after supper because you were able to load the dirty dishes as you were cooking. If I can convince myself to give up going back to bed because it’s still dark when hubs leaves for work early, I’ve gifted myself 20 minutes to relax with coffee and Jesus under my heated blanket in my chair “nest” before the school routine starts! I’m trying to learn that self denial is in the little things. I don’t have to forgo all the yummy holiday treats in an extreme attempt to change myself, but I can savor 2 peppermint Hershey Kisses instead of 12! I can squeeze in 18 counter pushups here and there throughout my day instead of feeling like I should be getting up at the crack of dawn to run 8 miles. Small good decisions day after day do make a difference! I can purpose do my best to be effective before 2:45 pm, so the bulk of my day’s work won’t still be weighing me down and hindering after-school peppermint bark production with Danielle. Instead of wallowing in overwhelm, I can make myself sit down and brain dump everything I need to do and think I need to do. Then I can attempt to cut out the extras and give the gift of a Less-Hassle Holiday to myself and my family. Or, like Mary, I might need to deny myself the luxury of even being able to have a plan! She didn’t have an online reservation email to easily pull up and recheck the details of the Airbnb “Stable Experience” Joseph had booked months in advance. Instead, she had to submit to ongoing discomfort while getting closer to utter unknown with each plodding step of her little donkey. Even though I’m sure she was a normal woman who was tempted to complain and to feel like her life was so unfair, I think Mary consciously chose to accept her situation as it was. I believe she made the choice to deny the desire for an easy path, a “normal” family; subconsciously giving Joseph the gift of feeling like a good husband who truly was doing his best to make his wife happy, and as comfortable as possible. This Christmas, I want to be like Mary and have a Denied December; giving those in my little world the best gift that I can give - my self, denied. 




28 comments:

  1. This is so good! Gonna have to reread

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need this for all year, not just December. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true and I needed it too!! Thanks for writing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I needed to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just heard similar thoughts from a totally different source only yesterday. Must be my sign!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Sharon! In a sermon lately a minister left the thought that we need to know ourselves in order to deny ourselves. That's provided a lot of food for thought, and it seemed worthy to pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "...self denial is in the little things." That's going in my quote book. Good one Sharon, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks Sharon, very good thoughts to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacia Kaufmann12/14/2023 7:49 AM

    I love this!!🙏🏻❤️ Definitely something I need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm. I need this for today. And every day! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this!!🩷 Words of wisdom for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilliary Johnson12/14/2023 9:13 AM

    Yes I so needed this too! Thanks for being willing to share your inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such inspiring thoughts. Mary pondered in her heart what it might mean. BTW, how do I sign up to get notified when you publish again? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sharon faircloth12/14/2023 10:38 AM

      First, who are you? 😉 If you are in my contacts, I always post on my status when I blog. If not, send me your number and I’ll add you! Otherwise, I cannot seem to get my subscribe button to work well. You can go to the web version and try to subscribe. I’m thinking of changing to a different blog platform.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sharon
      I lost you in the shuffle of my life. I would love to be added to your contacts.again! Thanks deeply 706-318-5958

      Delete
  14. Love this, Sharon!!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes I love this and definitely something I needed to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this writing also! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes amazing and so true 🤍

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved it ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very good thoughts, Sharon! I’d like to be added to your contacts too. Anita Hibner 989-763-1309 Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will also need your number 😉

    ReplyDelete
  21. Michelle Nichols12/15/2023 8:40 AM

    I love reading your blog, and would also like to be added to your contacts. 979-541-9793. Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. sharon faircloth12/15/2023 10:51 AM

    My number is (251) 253-9255
    I’ve added all of you who gave me your names and numbers to my contacts! Thanks for all the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved this too! 💜 Amanda Loewen 205-499-3877

    ReplyDelete