Friday, April 13, 2012

sweet sixteen!!

"Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Melanie,
Happy Birthday to you!"

Can hardly believe that my little sis turned SIXTEEN today! This is the "virtual" cake I made (picked out) for her. Wish I could say that I made this majestic cake!!! She wants homemade cookie dough ice cream instead of birthday cake though whenever we have her official party. We postponed the family celebration since tonight was the festive fundraiser that the youth groups put on to raise money for the Church in Nicuragua. It was an awesome evening! The theme was "Deep South". Bamboo poles supporting strings of lights encircled the tables, which were topped with red gingham tablecloths and daisy bouquets. The menu was fried chicken strips, mashed potatoes and white gravy, black-eyed peas, and biscuits, with banana pudding and peach cobbler 'n ice cream for dessert. After stuffing ourselves, we sat back and listened as the the youth stood on a utility trailer for a stage and sang their hearts out! "Massa in de Cold, Cold, Ground", "Star-Spangled Banner", and "This Land is Your Land" rang out over the sound system out under the stars while the old "johnny pop" tractor and wagon gave hayrides. Can't beat an night of good, old-fashioned fun on a balmy Spring evening!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Mel, hope you had a lovely day and wish u the best in the year that u r 16:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Can't believe it Mel!! And I'm so jealous about the "Deep South" night! I hadn't heard anything about it! Sounds awesome! Wish they would do stuff like that up here but the old people have this wierd thing about fund raising!!???? Know idea why!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fundraisers are relately new for our youth groups, too! :) So maybe someday, Michelle!

      Delete
  3. I loved it! So awesome to just get in and then party! WEll, not totall party cuz I helped clean up with my friends.
    That cake looks awesome sharon! It needs my lil black top hat I got from Dirt Cheap perched on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes that hat would be perfect!!! Want me to make you a cake and use it along with the ice cream?! Wouldn't want it to get greasy from the frosting tho....

      Delete