Wednesday, April 4, 2012

strawberries....Yum!

  I wish you could've eaten a heaping bowl of strawberry shortcake with us! What could be better than tart, juicy, red strawberries over "Velvet Sponge Cake" (suggested by Anne; recipe found in Friends and Family) topped with fluffy white clouds of REAL WHIPPED CREAM! Cool Whip just doesn't really make the cut when it comes to the perfect bowl of strawberry shortcake.
  Today was kinda a helter-skelter day, but thankfully it did turn out to be quite profitable! I ran to Atmore this morning to finally take our numbers in to the tax lady! Talk about being sanguine and waiting 'til almost the last minute! How I wish I would've inherited just a few melancholy genes; at least the ones that would help me get organized and get to church on time! And stay on the subject....uhhhhumm! Back to being in Atmore here.....I also went to the P.O., fueled my car, made my customary "We Care" browse which netted me an aluminum banana bread pan and two demin skirts that will be perfect for camping this weekend, grabbed some groceries, and dashed into the dollar store! Whew! Good thing Melanie had invited me for spaghetti for lunch; I was starving! She also served caesar salad, navel orange slices, and savory strawberry pie for dessert! Our folks were out celebrating their 29th anniversary which was yesterday. After it quit raining, we struck out for the strawberry patch on Tungoil Road. Amazingly, I was able to pick berries and not Kleenexes this year! I'm giving the credit to my daily steroids and the dose of Nasalcrom I had taken beforehand. Anyway, I picked 11.3 pounds of beautiful berries! I intend to be a virtuous little Mennonite wife tomorrow and make some of them into jam! Hope it turns out; I've never yet made jam!! I helped Mel finish a dress, and then went home to the huge mess I've made cleaning out the freezer. It hadn't been keeping everything totally frozen, so I completely emptied it to defrost its inards. We are hoping that does the trick! Sure don't want to give Sears any more business for awhile. Now I need to clean out all the dust bunnies (and who knows what all else I'll find?!) from behind it while it's empty. (I have been working on it but decided I deserved a little break!) Think I can get Daniel to help me finish the job?!....

6 comments:

  1. "caesar" Ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me! :) lol I actually had it "ceaser" first, then changed it to "caeser" when may spellcheck snagged it but didn't give me the right spelling! Thanks for pointing it out; I'll change it asap! Also debating if "Kleenexes" should be just "Kleenex". I googled it and people say both forms are ok. Can't decide which I prefer!

      Delete
  2. We had strawberry shortcake the other evening but ours were from the freezer. Not as good. We used to have ice cream with ours when I was still at home but Wes loves the real whipped cream too, so that's what we always do anymore. I love to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I need a big bowl of strawberry shortcake now! Did your jam turn out? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! I was pleased! And surprised at how easy it was to make! lol

      Delete