Monday, July 8, 2013

reenactment

Habits are safer than rules; you don't have to watch them.  And you don't have to keep them, either.  They keep you.  ~Frank Crane

   The above quotation is my inspiration quote for this "Healthy Habits" month of July! It is becoming easier...{I think!} to keep {some} of my aspirations! I do know that our bed has been properly bedecked in its wrappings of coverlets more days in a row than ever before! The hardest things to win stars for so far has been keeping my feathers unruffled and cleaning up the house and kitchen daily. Gonna keep on keepin' on though!

   Now a few thoughts about the reception or "reenactment" as Danl called it! It was a splendid affair! Approximately 225 people attended, giving a small and cozy feeling to the event. We all were adorned once more in our wedding garments, except for Jacob, who wasn't able to wear his wedding britches due to the hole that somehow now adorns one knee much to Rhonda's dismay and despair. Nathan and Shawna stood in for attendants instead of Taylor and Drea. The short service consisted of an opening song, "I sing the Mighty Power of God" by John William Eicher, a few words of welcome by Dad, a song about love that I didn't know by a quartet {Shane, Tyson, Seth, Troy}, some thoughts on honoring God and each other from Uncle Carlos, "Sunshine in my Soul" and "Locked in the Bottom of my Heart" by a large group of couples, a congregational song, "Oh God, Our Help" led by Steve, and closing thoughts and prayer by Mike. Then we went down to eat brisket sandwiches on HOMEMADE buns with HOMEMADE BBQ sauce, lettuce salads, sweet salads, pasta salads, potato salads, fruit cobblers, and Bluebell ice cream cups! We wiped our faces on the beautiful light aqua napkins that Dad laboriously matched to a scrap of Katie's dress. Some people had to use a grey napkin. Rhonda and I arranged the bouquets. We weren't sure if they turned out according to our vision or if we even had a vision, but they at least they were interesting! The colors of the blooms were primarily dark purple, hot pink, lime green, and white. It was Katie's mom's birthday, so we had Roxie and Jeremy put a candle in her cobbler since they were serving bride's table. A small and mostly insignificant detail here that I just thought I'd mention is that my 8 year old wedding shoes sort of gave out on me... I had to remove that bottom pieces from both heels lest they come out mid stride down the aisle and render me helpless and prone to stumble and fall. So I just plunked around with open heels! On the sad side, it was exactly a year to the day that Uncle Kale passed away. We had a special bouquet in his memory on display, then sent it home with Aunt Donna. We all miss him so much!!

{TOMORROW is the DAY to draw a WINNER for the HAPPINESS giveaway!!}

2 comments:

  1. I thought that was so special to remember Uncle Kale! Was a nice reenactment! :) Wish I would've noticed your shoes... Can't remember what they were like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't very noticeable or snazzy! :) square toe with a small buckle, low block heel...I still like them though, and would buy them again!

      Delete