Saturday, January 12, 2013

new year's R.E.S.O.L.U.T.I.O.N.S

Did you make piles of New Year's RESOLUTIONS for 2013? I didn't. Resolution is such a big, bad, scary word that I don't even like to deal with it! In my mind, it just screams FAILURE!! But, since I am always trying to better my life, and thereby whip myself into shape, I made some simple New Year's TRY-TOS. That way, if I don't always succeed, I won't feel so awful because I didn't RESOLVE to do or not to do, I am only TRYING! :) I don't mind if you laugh at my feeble attempts here....most likely y'all all do these piddly things regularly without any extra efforts!

1. Don't sleep past 7:45. {I will be getting up MUCH earlier in a few days for school!! But in the winter it's so easy to keep hitting the ole snoozer!! and the unhappiness that results from such a sluggish morning far exceeds the delight of sleeping later!! Ugh! So, 7:45 is still purty much sleeping in, yet not so late that the morning is completely wasted!}

2. Make the Bed. {I can't believe how much seeing the neatly made bed, adorned with 7 pillows and the vibrant yellow chevron throw which was a Christmas present from my bestie, Jill, gives my soul a little leap of delight when I pass by! and it only takes 5 minutes tops.}

3. House Beautiful. {This means that at some point during the day, I need to do a clean sweep through the house, picking up and putting away. And brooming up stray grass and erring socks etc.}

4. Make the kitchen say "Good Morning!" {Every single, solitary dish has to be either in the dishwasher or sitting clean on the drying pad before I hit the hay.}

5. Go to bed by 10:00. {The hardest til last!! I haven't mastered this one even one night. Yet! Better days are coming!}

{and two once-a-weekers}

6. Monday is Meal Planning Day. {Can't believe how much this helps! With grocery buying and general stress!}

7. Friday is ART Day! {Adults art every Friday just like school kids! :) I'm aiming to either paint, sew, or do something crafty. Art at school may have to suffice for the next 4 months though!}

So, all these TRY-TOS! And how to make myself accountable?! I'm pretty much a kid in grown-up clothes, so I decided to try a juvenile approach. Who doesn't like a chart with stars?! I whipped up a colorful chart with my new Christmas Sharpies and magneted it to the refrigerator. I'm trying to earn 5 stars each day! So far, 4 per day is my highest as the going to bed by 10 gets me every night! Argh! But I'm gonna keep trying to!

I also coined these mantras to keep me focused on the good life! I have them written around the edges of my chart.

God First. {Like don't read GoodHousekeeping or poke around on Pinterest in the morning before having quiet time with God reading the Bible.}

Stop while it's fun. {So often, if I enjoy something, I end up overindulging and the guilt is greater than the good! For example, 1 or 2 muffins, cookies, bowls, etc. are great, but 3 or 5 is gluttony and it's not fun anymore! Or reading a few chapters is relaxing, but reading most of the book instead of doing what needs to be done is ridiculous and no fun at all!}

The early bird doesn't have ruffled feathers. { This one is my fave. :) Way too many times I wait until last minute to get around, then have to fly to the occasion, and am so ruffled by the time I get there that it takes away the joy of the moment completely! The early bird's feathers are all nicely preened and in place, exactly in tune with his song and spirit! LOL that was kinda sappy!}

STRESS is a choice. Choose not to. {Kinda like the saying "Life is 10% action, 90% reaction." If I just decide that I will not stress about ___________ and just do as much as I can calmly do to the best of my abilities, the need to stress is not there. At least not as much!}

Celebrate TODAY! {My whole life is made up of days like this one, one after another! So bring on the sprinkles, the hugs, and the laughter!}

So! Now that I have bared my wittle soul with all its idiosyncrasies, please share with me whether or not you make New Year's resolutions or try-tos, and if so, how you bring them to pass! Since we are 12 days into this fresh year, I figured it was a good time to tackle this topic! Here's to making real, lasting changes for a better life instead of vague aspirations!

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful try-tos! Wonder why it's sooo hard to get up at a decent hour, make the bed, clean up the kitchen, etc... and when you do it right away how better you feel...????.... I guess I didn't make a list of resolutions... I'm not very good at them either... But one thing I want to "try-to" is focus more on the positive of life, others, etc... Negativism is so draining! It's really been a struggle since the New Year tho'... since we have been continually sick over here since the 1st! Wishing you a year that you can look back on and say "I did it!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the idea you mentioned about putting happy things in a jar :) Like you said, negativism is draining but way too easy to get in to! Hope you have a very positive year!! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm calling mine "RESOLUTIONS"! :) ONLY 3 tho:

    1# Let My Fingernails Grow- no more biting!!!

    2# Be Thankful. Why not? I have so much.

    3# No. Jealousy. Allowed. It will hurt myself the most.

    I have these written in the memo box on my calendar. I'm thinking of rewriting them each month and the Lord willing they will last the whole year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be your resoulutions in a nutshell, you must be thankful for your fingernails and not be jealous of anyone else's! :) You CAN do it, I know you can!!

      Delete
  3. My "try to's" for the year are to: Get 80 minutes of exercise in a week, more if possible. I'm going to try and eat less carbs and see if that helps me get to my weight goal. Realize impatience is a little imp and grow in the virtue of patience! Speak kind words. Quietly tolerate "noisy children". Be angry and sin not!(Is that making an excuse for myself?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go on the 80 minutes! you can do it! :) Wish we could exercise together! And I'm taking the latter part of your comment to heart for when I'm teaching!

      Delete