Thursday, August 9, 2012

an onslaught of pre-alzheimers

I will share a typical, yet embarrassing moment that occurred yesterday! I had an appointment with my new family doctor in Atmore who will be giving me the majority of my allergy shots. This appointment was primarily to establish patient history, and to enable Dr. McIntyre to have an updated medical file on me. So he was asking me questions pertaining to everything under the sun, not quite, and asked, "Have you had any surgeries?" I answered, "Yes, I've had my ACL repaired with a donor tendon." And he says, "What doctor performed the surgery?" My mind went COMPLETELY blank and I could NOT recall his name!! I could picture him in acute detail, but could not bring his name to mind! I could remember other doctors' names, such as Melanie's orthopedic and Dad's nose doc, but not the doctor that labored on my knee for 2 1/2 hours! So, Dr. McIntyre moved on and asked, "Who is your female doctor?" Then my mind went totally blank AGAIN, much to my mortification! Finally I told the doc he might as well add Alzheimer's to my portfolio at this rate! As usual, I could've said Rhonda's and Mom's doctors' names, but NOT my own! I told him I knew she was with the Baptist Medical Group, and he said, "Is it Dr. Doyle?" And I gratefully replied, "Yes, that's it!" I never could recall my orthopedic surgeon until later in the day it finally hit me that it was Dr. Sellers! So much for a good first impression! Dr. McIntyre will probably tell the nurses to call me several times to remind me of my first appointment!

6 comments:

  1. LOL!! I got a good laugh on this one:) Mainly because I do the exact same thing and it is SO EMBARRASING!!!!! Like, what is ur phone num. mam? Well,er,ah, lets c, yea I think I remember:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really worried about what I will be like at 30, 40, 50 and so on at the rate I'm going!! Guess I'll just have to take comfort that maybe my mind is just "too full" instead of that I'm "losing it!"

      Delete
  2. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I love love your blog! Makes my day every time I read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny to me now but it wasn't when it was happening!! lol :)

      Delete
  3. Ha! I do the same thing! Throw in a hot flash and a red face and that's me. Then of course you remember it later.... just wait til you have kids.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! Makes it worse, right?! groan.....

      Delete