Saturday, December 29, 2012

word of the day and more books on my bucket list

antepenultimate  \an-tee-pi-NUHL-tuh-mit\ , adjective:
 
{Did you know that I am an antepenultimate child?! I didn't either until yesterday when I read this word for the day on my igoogle page! Pretty cool, eh? Next time I get asked about my fam/sibs I will proclaim, "We have a rather large family as I am the antepenultimate offspring...."}

1. Third from the end.
2. Of or pertaining to an antepenult.

noun:
1. An antepenult.

The vengeful eagles of the open sequence [and] the birds of augury watched outside the library and the emblematic kinsmen who shake 'the wings of their exultant and terrible youth' in the antepenultimate entry in Stephen's diary.
-- James Joyce, introduction by Hugh Kenner, Ulysses
But all day that is how it is, from the first tick to the last tack, or rather from the third to the antepenultimate, allowing for the time it needs, the tamtam within, to drum you back into the dream and drum you back out again.
-- Samuel Beckett, Mercier and Camier
This adjective is the product of three Latin roots: ante meaning "before," paen meaning "almost" and ultima meaning "last."


Also, I really want to read and own both of these books!! I love Gretchen Rubin's thoughts about life and happiness; her article each month is the main reason I look forward to the next issue of Good Housekeeping! She writes candidly and with humor about her year-long experiment on making small life changes that added to her daily happiness. I like how she brings out that tiny seemingly mundane choices can really add or subtract from how happy we are "at home" each day, and that we have to embrace TODAY because we are living our life right now! I could purchase both books on eBay or on my Nook, but I'm kinda hoarding the rest of my Christmas $ {since I had a fine time blowing quite a bit of it which will be a whole 'nother blog post one of these days!} and am hoping to find used copies second-hand instead! So, please, if you happen to find either of them and don't want 'em, nab 'em for me!
The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
Happier at Home: Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project, Read Samuel Johnson, and My Other Experiments in the Practice of Everyday Life

1 comment:

  1. I loved her articles in that mag too back in the day!!!

    ReplyDelete