Thursday, December 6, 2012

gettin' in the holiday mood!

 
 
I falter to even TYPE this....this rash decision I made yesterday in Atmore. But, I WILL! and I hope you can give me advice on how not to commit murder again. You see, I bought a TREE! A living, breathing, alive TREE! That I desperately don't want to kill! It's the loveliest little "Meiwa Kumquat" tree! I plan to give it a home in a large pot on the front porch for the first year of its life with us. That way I can tenderly nurture it through our harsh Florida winter by covering it or wrapping it with Christmas lights for warmth should a deathly frost bear down upon us. Then once it's more established, I'll {umm... I mean Daniel} will plant it out in the yard! The man at Central said I should spray it with insecticide if it looks like it needs it. {help! how will I know?!} Any tips on growing citrus trees would be appreciated! To me, a kumquat tree is the best kind of Christmas tree!

I also wanted to share with you how completely Christmasy our house smells right now! I had seen these little stove-top potpourri gift bags on Pinterest, and had rapidly made one for a hostess gift for the candy exchange at Kristen's this morning. Which was the sweetest little party! Literally! She had five of us, and we all brought at least two kinds of candy and got to take home a broad assortment! Of course, I just had to sample each kind once I was back in the secrecy of my own house! But just the teeniest, weeniest little tastes you know! Anyway, since all the mess of making the potpourri was still strewn about the kitchen, I put together a batch and stuck it on the stove to simmer. Alas! I forgot that I had kinda it turned up a bit to hurry it along, and it BOILED violently before I noticed. But the most wonderful smells were spewing forth, so I didn't fret for long. I do wonder how many days it will continue to emit scent without rotting.... Here's the recipe if you want to try it!



Stove-top potpourri kits. Cute neighbor gift idea: one orange, 1/2 c cranberries, 1 Tbs whole cloves, 3 sticks cinnamon, a bit of grated nutmeg. Instructions: "Quarter the orange, place all in a small saucepan filled with water and simmer on lowest setting. Refill water as needed."


So even though it is so sunshiney and balmy outside, it's starting to feel, taste, and smell like Christmas inside our house and in my heart! I want to get our Nativity set put up today along with a few other items of Christmas decor. Still need to bake fruitcake and buy a poinsettia.... Growing up, Dad always bought Mom a poinsettia every year....{and still does!} I've hinted broadly, but Daniel hasn't picked up that tradition. Oh well, it's fun to pick one out myself anyway! :) I'm thinking a blue one would be awesome this time. What Christmas traditions do you carry on each year? We usually made fruitcake with Grandma Smith each Christmas before they moved to MS.....now I always miss her so much when I make it!

9 comments:

  1. Watch out for the "Orange Dog" They will RAPIDLY eat all the foliage off your tree if you don't watch for them. We had to dust our tree a couple times this last year! Awww! I love the stovetop scents, too! And I miss Grandma so much too! Loved her fruitcake! Mom and Kimmy still make it together every year, but they never include me! :( Like the new look, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is the "orange dog" a kind of bug?! Do you use Seven dust? Shall you and I make our fruitcake together this year? :) Does Perry eat it, or are you the only one? Daniel eats a few slices; his dad just LOVES my fruitcake! Need to make him a batch and ship it or send with someone going that way.

      Delete
    2. You know... I've actually never made the fruitcake by myself... So not sure I'd even know how. Just remember Grandpa tediously cutting up all that fruit in exact pieces! :) The orange dog is an awful looking worm! And yes... we used Sevin.

      Delete
    3. yikes!!! I'll be on the lookout! thanks for the info!

      Delete
  2. I'll come make fruitcake with yall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do!! :) Let me know what time your flight arrives! Tell kelly it's extremely important that you fly down here to make "florida" fruitcake!!

      Delete
  3. I want a WHITE poinsettia this year... Ha! I've never had one since I've been married other than babysitting one (and I think the leaves started falling off at my house... strange, huh? Do they need to be watered or something?) I just never want to spend the money... but each year I dream of which color I'd buy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White would be elegant! :) Just don't buy a couple bags of sugar that you normally would and buy a poinsettia instead! And then when your kids want something sweet to eat, tell them they have to be sweet instead eating someting sweet! lol

      Delete
    2. If that would work I might never buy sugar again! :) (but then I wouldn't get any either... bad idea I guess! :))

      Delete