Monday, November 5, 2018

Meal Planning Magic



After reading At Home with Madame Chic by Jennifer Scott, I was inspired to amp up my weekly meal-planning! I've already been loosely following the popular "Taco Tuesday" and "Fish Friday" ideas, plus I LOVE a good alliteration! Hence was born the following! I chose categories that we love and eat regularly. I'm sure this would vary so much from family to family! I don't stick to this religiously at all, and totally switch days around as needed, but just having the avenue already chosen for the day makes it easier to get inspired to know what to plan and get groceries for. I do love to cook, but to meal plan, get groceries, and do dishes?! Not so much! In a way, it seems like this method would be more stifling, but it's actually been quite liberating for me!

Soul Food SUNDAY: This meal should evoke warm feelings of home, comfort food. Like fried food or Southern fare.

(Baked chicken legs sprinkled with Tony's and garlic salt, box of mac 'n cheese, Great Value dill pickles, fried apples. The recipe pictured and linked below was fantastic!)

Make Whatever You Want MONDAY: This night is the wild card! For us, it might be Chinese, soup, or salad.

(Ended up eating out, had to run to the city. i.e. Awful fake shrimp from Islamarada at Bass Pro! Wow, we were not impressed, but had some great laughs!)

Taco TUESDAY: Taco ideas are just endless! We love white corn tortillas, gently fried, and stuffed with everything under the sun! Or crunchy shells...PW fried tacos are also a fave! Or use flour tortillas, and add crunched up Doritos along with your fillings for a fancy schmancy "Dorito Crunch" taco! This night could be anything Mexican, enchiladas, quesadillas or whatever.

(Crunchy Chicken Tacos, Chips 'n Salsa)

Pie WEDNESDAY: OK, this one isn't alliteration, but I couldn't not do Pie Wednesday! So Pizza Pie it is! Either get Pizza Hut or make one at home. Or have Frito Pie, Shepherd's Pie, or Chicken Pot Pie (if only Danl liked it!) or anything Italian. And I love to have dessert pie if possible! It's rare though. BTW, those little frozen Banquet brand peach pies are really good!!

(Frito Pie with leftover chili from last Friday night. Can of Del Monte corn. I don't ever put up corn like a good Mennonite! Shhhh. And pumpkin pie, hopefully!)

Throw It on the Grill THURSDAY: Pretty self-explanatory! Just Grill It! One night I did our entire supper on the grill...grilled BBQ meatballs, jalapeno poppers, and garlic bread!

(Marinated Blade Steaks, Instant Pot baked taters, can of Del Monte green beans)

Fish FRIDAY: Serve any kind of seafood on this day! Shrimp, fish, crawfish, salmon etc.

(Cheese grits, tossed salad, Fried trigger fish...We love Captain Smiley's in Molino! So awesome to have fresh seafood so close to home! Danl likes to stop in there on his way in from work if he's early enough, and I am always delighted with his pickings! Their tuna dip is so yum.)

Sandwich SATURDAY: We grew up having hamburgers almost every Saturday, and I love to keep this tradition! Danl never tires of a good burger either! If we do want to vary, we might have Malboro Man's Cube Steak sandwichs, subs, or po'boys IF there was anything good left from Fish Friday!

(BLTs, chips, jello)

And there you have it! You're welcome for the menu plan!


Grandma Barb's Best Southern Fried Apples Recipe _ are pure perfection. Tart, sweet & spiced just right & not to mention easy as pie!! They are a True Southern comfort food & just thinking about them makes me smile. I hope they will make you smile too : )

http://divascancook.com/best-southern-fried-apples-recipe/

I didn't have Granny Smith apples on hand, so I used 3 medium Macintosh apples. 4 Macs would have been perfect!


12 comments:

  1. Love it! One of these days I'm gonna get back into menu planning! But not this month! We're all here and there all month! Arg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not as fun or necessary if you are coming and going a lot! Here's to your planned out December! ;)

      Delete
    2. Lol! I'm hoping a few December meals are brot to me on the meal cart at Boundry Trails hospital!

      Delete
    3. Oh my goodness, yes!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Love your ideas! I'm always on the lookout for good meals. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! These are simple and easy! Danl encourages me to just buy more stuff to cut down on time and dishes! So even though I CAN make the real deal on stuff like mac n cheese, we eat store-brand boxes of "kraft dinner" for $.49! :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome post. I know you’ll love this method!!! Also, as always I love to read food posts�� especially from you��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love to write about food, so I'm glad to know you enjoy the food posts!

      Delete
  4. I'm gonna invite myself for Sunday lunch!!!! Sounds sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on! ;) We'd love to have you join us!

      Delete