Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Babies Don't Keep

Tonight was Jessica (Wenger) Koehn's baby shower... or "hen party" as I overhead Danl telling one of his buddies that he would be taking care of the rugrat while Sharon went to a hen party! Guys! Gotta love 'em! 
Anyway, it was a lovely shower; all done up so darling in vintage/retro toys, with old quilts, string lights, a coffee bar complete with a barista, delicious ham chowder in bread bowls, veggies 'n dip served out of the cutest vegetable train and Tonka dump truck, apples 'n caramel, and mini pumpkin tortes! 

Prior to eating, we all sang some old lullabies one of which was the song about "Babies Don't Keep," looked at tiny, footed sleepers, sniffed lotions and potions, and petted soft blankets... My mind went back to when Danielle was a tiny baby....and I realized anew just like those lilting lyrics that my baby did not keep! She's going on 3!!! And she's daily doing such grownup stuff! 

This morning she stood on the porch in her French fries t-shirt and diaper, (still a baby in that department.. argh.) with her little arms crossed and head tilted to one side in deep thought as she watched Daddy, Mr. Bucky, and Mr. Curtis loading up and preparing for the work day. Then she seriously proclaimed, "They not have a clue what they do'ning." 

Later on our way home from Aunt Rhonda's she sneezed, then told herself, "Scat, cat! Get outa my gravy! That what Nana says." And it IS what her Nana always tells her! lol 

She thinks Bass Pro is a "casserole" aka "castle" since it has flags flying from the peaks. 

She loves to have me sing "Old McDonald Has a Farm" substituting all the members of the Paw Patrol for the usual animals. Her new favorite song is "Down by the Station" thanks to Aunt Katie!

When she knows I'm on the last, or almost the last song before bed, she instructs me, "Sing SLOW!!!" 

She loves to hold Baby Ellie, always uttering, "Baby Ellie SO cuuuuute."

We were "helping" Daddy in the man-cave the other day, and she told him all her plans for it. "I put my crib here, baby tub here, all my toys too, and paint green and brown." She's planning to take over! 

But then, she already has. Our hearts that is! 


Birth announcement card by Lisette Spapens. Glass painting and digital. sweet little girl hiding behind a leaf.




2 comments:

  1. Awww she's getting so grown up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sometimes I'm so glad, and the next time I want desperately to press PAUSE.

      Delete