Tuesday, June 25, 2013

phase 1

 Finally my fingers are at home again on the keyboard! But not "home home" as we are in North AL for a day or two depending on the weather down south. We had the loveliest time in Ohio! At least that's my opinion...not sure that Daniel would echo my sentiments as the weekend included much socializing, dressing up, and suit-wearing! But my did he ever look handsome in his grey hounds tooth suit with a black shirt that really complimented his dark hair....I fear I am veering here! To summarize our travels, I will start with Thursday, June 20. I took the delighted dogs up to the doggie hotel to spend time with their cousins, Morty and Scout. We left around noon I think, and arrived in Guntersville for a great evening of food and fellowship with the family; even had the blessing of being with Kelly and Michelle before we all flew out on Friday. I frantically sewed on my Haiti dress before going to bed; finished it all but the hem! We started the day out Friday in typical fashion due to me setting my phone for 5:30 a.m. of the 22nd instead of the 21st! Scramble, scramble!! But we still made it to Nashville in plenty of time, so it was a fortunate mistake that resulted in a extra blissful hour of sleep! Daniel crossed Michigan off his bucket list after we ducked in there on layover. I took a satisfactory jaunt down memory lane as we passed through the thrillingly colorful "lightening tunnel" while changing concourses. It was even more majestic than I had remembered it from years ago when Jonny, Aunt Donna, my mom, Kristi, and I had lived in Detroit airport for 12 hours due to an ice storm preventing our passage into Ontario. Back to the present, we arrived in Ohio with no time to primp at Ben and Ashley's before we had to scurry around for the family supper. It was a lovely outdoor occasion at Katie's Uncle Sheldon's home. Anthony is definitely marrying into a "fun" family as we were entertained with a hilarious pantomime of a "Bus Scene" by Matt and a cousin that I can't remember his name that involved an imaginary piece of bubble gum and all the various places it ended up being! Next was a silent, side-splitting rendition of "The Three Little Pigs" by Jamie, Drea, Katie, and JP. I quickly hemmed my Haiti dress so I could wear it on Saturday when Rhonda wore hers. Saturday morning found us at church trying to be helpful with set-up etc. Rhonda and I arranged her bridal bouquet of calla lilies and grass. Lunch was hamburgers at a beautiful park. The Saturday Night Supper was held at a church in the town of Ashland. The tables were so pretty; adorned with huge, sparkly Gerber daisies in vases with black marbles. Brilliantly colored solo cups brightened each place setting. Seeing all our family and friends from afar again was a great pleasure! So many people with so little time to be with was the only problem! We ended up at Chad and Keela's to hang with my Smith cousins - Cliff and Wendy, Sharla, and Mervin, Lydia, Casey, and their charming new baby, Tessa. Laughter and good times rolled! We just missed all those that weren't present though. This feels like a good time to wrap up Phase 1 of this trip report, since Cam and Erica just walked in and Daniel is having a good time telling Amish stories! More trip tales will be coming tom!

No comments:

Post a Comment