Sunday, March 15, 2015

make me to hear joy & gladness....& my alarm clock!

Last Saturday March 7, as I sat out on the porch in the gorgeous weather of this year's Spring {we only get a few days of real Spring} reading Psalm 51, I did not realize how much I would need to lean upon the sustaining songs of David's Psalms as the coming week progressed. Verse 8 especially spoke to me - "Make me to hear joy and gladness: that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice."  Make me to hear joy and gladness. That sentence made me wonder if joy and gladness are always there, but sometimes I just do not CHOOSE to hear them? I decided to make a greater effort to hear God's music - to really listen to His joy and gladness every day. The sonorous chirping of the birds, the lilting laughter of the children at school {even when I wish they would sober up and get to work}, the sound of Daniel's voice as we visit in the evenings while the dogs are snoring...
The new week began extra early Sunday morning, as we lost a precious hour of morning sleep due to Daylight Savings! I hadn't bothered with my alarm since I had told Daniel to wake me up. I spent part of the day laboriously changing the time on most of our non-atomic clocks, but didn't get to the one in our bedroom. Monday morning, the sound blaring from my atomic alarm at 5:52 was not a sound of joy and gladness to me! But I dragged myself out of bed and proceeded to slug through my routine so as to be at school by 7:25. At what I thought was 6:42, Daniel asked me, "Why are you running so late?!" I replied, "I'm not! It's only 6:42!" Then he showed me the time on his phone, and I realized with a sinking heart that my alarm had NOT changed automatically like it was supposed to, and I had NOT realized it since I had also forgotten to change the other bedroom clock, AND my cell had died since I had left my charger in my schoolbag. MAJOR FAIL in every area! So I let my comrades in the teaching department know of my predicament and they held down my fort while I proceeded to slog through my schedule arriving at school an hour late! The whole day felt off, and I was so glad for Tuesday and the chance to get it right again! Before bed, I checked my alarm - 5:52 am. Yes! Then I reset the alarm. Proper time? Yes! With faith, I happily crawled into bed, ready to forget the embarrassment of the morning! {So un-FlyLadyish!}
Suddenly, I jolted awake and my eyes immediately flew to the red digital time display above me, and I saw with utter DISBELIEF that the time was 7:52!!! WHAT?! I stormed over to the atomic clock only to find that the alarm was not even set! A reset always annihilates the alarm settings! Like a dimwit, I had forgotten that small detail which now loomed largely! HOW do you explain being even later the very next day after being horrifyingly late?! I quickly pounded out a text on the WHCS faculty GroupMe and begged them to come to my rescue once again! {Oh how I love my long-suffering cos!} I flew around, showered, dressed, grabbed some grub, and headed down the road, only to remember as I was passing Orval Peters's house that I had forgotten the dairy milk that we needed to make fresh cheese for Central America Social Studies at home. So, back I went, making myself even later! When I finally arrived at school at 9:05,
my wonderful kids who all deserve medals, were quietly working on their math papers seemingly not even needing a teacher in the least! By this time, I really felt like just going back home, curling up in the fetal position, and letting them continue to teach themselves! But I was a big girl, and didn't. This day felt off too. At its end, I set my alarm, rechecked my alarm, dug out an old-fashioned alarm, set it, set my cell phone alarm, and finally, crawled into bed and slept fitfully. When the cacophony of jingling and jangling and bleeping and blaring awoke me Wednesday morning at the proper 5:52, believe me, it was the most beautiful sound in the world!
I think the Psalmist would approve of this version of his verse!
Make me to hear joy & gladness, 
that the sound from my alarm which now ringeth may cause me always to rejoice.

Image result for oregon scientific atomic alarm clock

The rest of the week from Wednesday on went much better! It even included these sugar babies! The sound of the new specialty donuts at Krispy Kreme plunking down into my box also sounded like joy & gladness! :)


5 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! I'm sure you didn't think so at the time though! :) If nothing else, it gave me a good laugh which I needed during all the sadness around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could provide! :) My kids also thought it was quite hilarious! On Wednesday, we all concurred that the wackiest thing was that I was actually in the classroom when they arrived! {We have been observing Wacky Wednesday for 9 weeks now - every Wednesday I put the "shoe on the wall" in a different place along with wackifying 8 other things for a total of 9 since we are on the 9th week and so on. ;) Then they try to find all the wacky things once they get there!}

      Delete
  2. Oh the hilarity of it all!!! This made me laugh😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was pose 2 b a smiley behind the word laugh but guess blogs think there question marks

    ReplyDelete