Sunday, April 6, 2014

my friend Dawn

I guess I'm still feeling poetic due to the WHCS Poem Fest we had Friday night. We had a wonderful time and the children were so proud of the amazing job they did with reciting their poems, making tarts, bagging party mix, and serving the crowd. It was well worth every ounce of effort it took. Yesterday, since I had largely ignored housework for the past three days, I had the most majestic mountain of dishes and felt a surge of thankfulness for my dear friend Dawn. Hence this poem. Today I made Frozen Mocha Cheesecake Dessert for Mamalisa's belated birthday supper, along with Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta, and Ceaser Salad. We had a lovely evening with Mom and Bill. Now I need to finish making lesson plans, check some tests, and give Dawn a call as I have a small smattering of dishes to do. Have a good evening, everyone! 


I want to tell you about my dear friend Dawn.
She's always there when hope is gone.
She's steady, dependable, I can call her anytime.
And believe it or not, her favorite thing is GRIME!

Dawn loves to see the dishes piled high,
What makes her sing, makes me cry.
She gets right to it, and attacks with glee
Every stuck-on noodle of last night's spaghetti.

She smells of the islands, of a tropical clime
When Dawn does the dishes we have a good time
For the scent of pineapple takes us far far away
To a place where grease is not a part of our day.

Even though she's so helpful and cheerful and bright,
I can't quite convince her to get this thing right.
I want her so badly to do the dishes herself.
But she insists on waiting for me, the unselfish elf.

She says she just can't do the the dishes alone.
That I must gird up my loins and not groan.
That blessings will come as we work on together,
And she'll always help me no matter the weather.

So I sigh and tell Dawn that she can have it her way.
Just so she'll help me get through each fray.
Because she is the best friend that there ever was
And boy can she can make the most beautiful suds.

She makes washing dishes almost seem like fun,
And I'm almost surprised when we wash the last one.
But maybe one day she will surprise me and say,
"You know what, I'll do the dishes without you today!"

{SMF- 4.06.14}





5 comments:

  1. I LOVE you sharon!!!!! So glad I can call you sis and tell people you are my sis! Loved your poems at the poem fest and all of them actually! Scrummy snacks too! the new look of your blog is fabulous! and the poem about dawn is remarkable! you have such a great talent! and yes I agree that is the best faithful trusty brand of soap ya can buy!

    .......your youngest sis still at home...
    .......too young to leave her mother....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thank you, thank you! ;) better not let any guys taste your cherry pie!! So glad you are my wee lil sis who's too young to leave her mudder!!

      Delete
  2. Pel Mel your post made me chuckle:) can you make a cherry pie??:)
    Sharon does your dishwasher not work? Maybe you should tell the school board to get you one for graduation:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel can make a mean cherry pie!!! ;) or anything for that matter!! She's much more able and mature than I was at 18! Yes, I do have a dishwasher and use it faithfully! But I still manage to dirty pots and pans in such quantities that I still have to hand wash some along with splattered countertops! ;)

      Delete
  3. You mean I'm not the only one who can't get everything in her dishwasher?? Mine is so old and feeble that if you overload it you end up rewashing them anyhow... I would rather clean up than cook any day... Wish we could've listened to the Poem Fest but- I was on the way home from Atlanta, driving my used but new-to-me Excursion!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah! Three years after 'losing' the van I have wheels!!!

    ReplyDelete