Wednesday, February 27, 2013

ending up in the ER

 
  Kudos for SPRING BREAK!!! Since this weekend will find me gallivanting away via Toyota with my parents and aunt to Kansas, I will endeavour to elaborate a bit before the busy-ness hits me head-on! The house is quiet, just me and my coffee curled up on the couch. Tony and Mel kinda eased over here for supper last minute. Love it when that happens! I'd made some simple chili using up some leftover taco meat, hamburger, and deer burger. Now they're all back at my folks; Daniel is working on his truck in their shop. And I should be cleaning up the kitchen, finishing laundry, putting clean sheets on the bed, etc. etc. But, I'm not. It feels just pretty awesome to keep ker-plunked right down!   
  Maybe you're wondering by now why I titled this post "ending up in the ER." It sums up my Monday, that's why! I had desperately dashed uptown to get my allergy shots after school, feeling quite pleased that I had managed to be a touch earlier than some days. But my elation immediately evaporated after I sat back down in the waiting room after having received both injections, because almost the minute the serum starting traveling I knew something was wrong! I belatedly remembered that I had NOT taken my zyrtec and zantac prior like I was supposed to! Argh! 26 years old and SO forgetful! But neither had my nurse remembered to ask me like she is supposed to! I had the pills in the car, so I went right out and swallowed them down along with an extra benadryl, hoping that it would work quickly and make the strange, itchy feeling subside. IT DIDN'T. I went into the bathroom to wash my face and was shocked to see my neck and face covered with bright, blotchy red spots! My eyes were starting to pus and swell, along with my ears and throat. I went out and told the girls behind the desk that I needed to see the nurse. They were like, "Are you OK?!" and the nurse came and whisked me to a room; then the Dr. was there too, panicking around and ordering the nurse to inject benadryl into my hip. Next thing I know, she is telling me they've called the ambulance to haul me to the ER since I am experincing anaphylaxis. I hear the siren wail from across the street and then the ambulance guys are insisting that I get on the stretcher although I told them I could walk, they didn't need to bother with it!! Then the paramedic and Dr. McIntyre disagreed over my allergy doc's orders of giving me epinephrine. Long story short, I didn't get it. Once in the ER, they administered steroids intravenously, and watched me for about 3 hours until the swelling was almost gone. Daniel and Mel came and kept me company. I graded some school papers and we had some good laughs behind the curtain at the people next bed. "Do you want your teefs in?" "No, just the bottom ones." LOL! Nevertheless, I don't want to go through that again! They told me even if I had taken the antihistamine prior, I still would have had a bad reaction, although it may not have been as severe. Next week, I have to go back to Dr. Cleveland to get my next shots, and to get a new action plan. Not sure if I will be continuing to get them in Atmore or not, since Dr. C was not impressed that his orders were not obeyed!
 Tuesday was a good day at school, but the ground was still extremely soggy! I was wishing that all the kids had rubber boots! Instead, they just went barefoot in the mud and washed up after recess much to the delight of some of the boys!
  Today, I slept in. I think those are 3 of the most beautiful words in the English language! Then, I worked around the house and went down to Pace to get a dehumidifier from Mom E. I also shopped Dollar Tree, which took far too long! But I netted some great finds for Rox and Jer's honeymoon basket, and some "boyish" items for the prize basket at school.
  Tomorrow, I have to get all packed up and ready to roll! Daniel is going camping at Blue Pond with one of his friends and his little boy while I'm gone, so we will both be having fun!
.....I wonder how much a bumpy, ambulance ride across the street will cost?!

2 comments:

  1. Grief girl, that sounds scary, hope it don't happen again!!! And have a safe trip, maybe you will get to see some snow:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!! and thanks, hope we get to see snow but not have to drive through it! :)

      Delete