Thursday, January 26, 2023

WOTY 2023! & Unexpected Reflections

"A little humor makes all things possible." - Mom

After a year of UNEXPECTED things, some delightful and others not so much, I was ready for a WOTY (Word Of The Year) that had more of a Grin to it, with less Grim undertones! I know that 2023 will be just as UNEXPECTED as 2022 was, but I want to be able to face it with HUMOR! So with a smile on my face, I happily selected this wise word for my 2023 WOTY. I grew up hearing my mom quote the phrase above, but I didn't fully grasp its great meaning until becoming an adult. And I'm still trying to grasp it, honestly! The choice we have to react to life with grace and humor or with a bad case of the grumpies is up to us! The admonition to choose HUMOR goes way back to the Bible times!

Proverbs 17:22 KJV

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: But a broken spirit drieth the bones. 

Who wants to have a broken spirit and dry bones?! Not I! So I am purposing to consciously choose to have some humor and laugh! At myself, at life, and with others! People ask me all the time, "How do you remember your WOTY?" or "Why bother choosing one? What is the point?"  It's like John F. Kennedy's famous inaugural words, "Ask not what what your country (WOTY) can do for you - ask what you can do for your country (WOTY)." Choosing the word HUMOR won't suddenly make me a jolly, relaxed, sunny person! I will have to give purpose to the word and incorporate it into my daily life! You have to match the energy you are willing to give to the expectations you are willing to get. I've been asking Danielle to tell me funny things that happened at school. Kids are the best for belly laughs! I've been seeking humor on statuses and commenting my thanks to the poster if I chortled. I signed up for a daily dose of humor from The New Yorker in addition to my page-a-day calendar from them. I put the words HAVE A LITTLE HUMOR on the lightbox in the kitchen. I married someone who makes me laugh. This is so important! I've been trying to laugh more easily at things Daniel finds funny. I have these pics on my iPhone homescreen and Watch lockscreen.


 Honing HUMOR skills is medically proven to reduce stress, pain, and muscle tension while improving the immune system, mood, and personal satisfaction.
Life is too real to go around constantly chuckling, but choosing to look through a more lighthearted lens is definitely doing me good! So here's to HUMOR in 2023! Want to join me?! LOL







2 comments:

  1. I love it!! I feel hopeful that your WOTY is rubbing off on me as I seek to notice humorous content! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we lived closer so your WOTY could rub off on me too!

    ReplyDelete