Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Nebraska News Vol. 1 Issue 2

 


Nebraska News

11-14 Monday

It hovered happily in the 20’s for most of the day! We tidied up and Jill made thee most delicious Dutch babies ever with sourdough starter and blueberries in prep for Ro (Rosalyn) and kiddos coming over for coffee. We had the best time chatting and snacking over coffee around the fire. Max and Ken both filled their buck tags! Yay! The guys had been teasing Ken that we weren’t gonna make cheesecake until he got his buck! I made some raspberry topping for the cheesecake before Danielle and I went with Danl to North Loup on an errand and then truck hunted with him on the Schudel property overlooking the Loup River. So pretty watching the sun setting and the golden eagles flying while munching snacks from Trotters. No deer ever appeared, but it was good to get some quality family time in. And to cover more chapters in my book. Supper was a very satisfying affair! Grilled ribeyes, fluffy baked Yukon gold potatoes, oven-roasted carrots, and cheesecake with homemade blueberry and/or raspberry sauces.


11-15 Tuesday 

Happy 60th, Jan! (Jill’s sweet mama) The guys and Max headed out early for pheasant hunting in South Dakota. I enjoyed my morning coffee and another of Ro’s espresso-frosted cinnamon rolls even though we were going out for coffee at Ollie’s in a little town called Sargent. We dropped Mason and Danielle off at Grandma Virginia’s. (Jethro’s mom) Picked up Jan, Janelle, and Jenny after a quick tour of Hilltop Gardens. Got some cool cards! Then we stopped at the Secondhand Rose in Ord. Jill and I went there last year and I wanted to go again! I got a pretty Westernish belt and a dinosaur book for Danielle. After a scenic drive, we arrived at Ollie’s. No lunch on Tuesdays, so we all just got coffees and shopped the huge variety of stuff. I loved my PSL and the adorable soaps I got for Mason and Danielle. Back to Ord for a delicious lunch at The Something’s Brewing Cafe. I got the hamburger vegetable soup special with coleslaw and a breve. Definitely keeping up with my caffeine intake today! Dollar General for necessities which included more craft supplies for our busy creative kiddos. We all chilled and rested once we were back home. The guys were getting a hotel so no need to virtuously have supper ready! We relished nachos by the fire along with all sorts of other yummy eats. Tried to listen to the Conference lecture. Then bravely went out in the swirling wind with a few snowflakes to get into the swim spa! So pretty with the colored lights at night. Well worth the cold dash to and from it! Stayed up late just because we could for once. 


11-16 Wednesday

Grand Island Adventure Day! First we went to the Lambdins to do chores since they were gone to Conference. Their pet deer is such a fascination! I could get used to Bambi kisses! I drove since Jill needed to do some design work. First stop was Hobby Lobby. Goodness, it was like Black Friday in there! Annie (or Anna as she’s known here) and Becca were shopping as well! Freddy's for a fine lunch; then over to the trampoline park! All of us moms decided to jump too since we had the whole place to ourselves! I even climbed my first “rock” wall with much effort and exertion! Phew. I am SO out of shape! I mean I do have a shape, but it’s not a fit one! Hanging out with Kristen, Shawna, and Annie was so good. I think this moms/kids outing needs to be a yearly Nebraska thing! Next stop was Homegoods. Danielle got a speech that “asking for things” was indeed a form of begging. The “one thing” had already been purchased prior at Hobby Lobby! I’m realizing that I no longer shop with her in tow much now that she’s in school 5 days a week. Sonic drive-thru for hotdogs and tater tots; then Scooters for breves so we could brave the way home lol. Tried in vain to listen to the youth singing at Conference. Actually got a bit of the lecture once we were back in range of Wifi. The guys got home after 9:00, exhausted from fun and pheasants. 


11-17 Thursday

Started the day as usual with coffee and cuddles upstairs before moving down for more relaxation. Sourdough toast and lemon meringues for breakfast. I’m getting so relaxed and spoiled; how am I ever gonna settle back into normal life in Florida?! Jill decided to whip up homemade kolaches since “Eat a kolache” was on my long list of “Things I Want to Do in NE.” Bless her heart! I hadn’t known that these delicacies were such a part of Nebraska cuisine until Shirley Unruh told me that Annie had been making them! Speaking of Annie, Danielle and I went down the hill into town for our annual visit/playtime at their house around 2:30 in the afternoon. The girls did lots of girly things while giggling and shrieking about. Annie and I yakked and yakked like old times; Bailey (or Glendon as he’s mostly known here) came home right before I was going to leave, so of course my leaving was further delayed in order to finalize the catching up of bygone people and places. I left Danielle there to play for “just a little bit longer!” while I came home to load up with Jill and the boys to go see Jenny’s four story mansion in Greeley! Picked up Danielle, then soon Jenny was leading us about on the most delightful tour of her historic home! Another super fun item checked off my list lol. The kolaches were definitely a hit; the guys had put a major dent in the supply while we were gone. Jethro grilled burgers and baked cherry and apple pies on the grill while we were gone. Ken’s last supper during “Eating Season” as he famously calls it, since he rebooked his ticket to fly home in the morning.


11-18 Friday

I had an elderberry kolache and part of a caramel walnut roll for breakfast. Sat down by the fire until it was past time to dash about getting ready to run to North Loup and Ord. We dropped Max, Mason, and Danielle off at Grandma Virginia’s again since they are generally miserable little shoppers. First stop was Popcorn County USA for local red, blue, and white kernels for ourselves and for gifts. Then we stopped on a whim at Hey Honey Boutique and were so delighted with the fun “Pink Friday” sale going on! We popped pink balloons to find out what our individual discount was and partook of pink lemonade. She also had darling frosted sugar cookies up for grabs, so we took some home for the kids. Then we went to Anderson’s Pharmacy. I had so much fun picking out stocking stuffers for my family’s Christmas celebration. They were also celebrating Pink Friday, and had everyone choose an ornament off a tree with a hidden discount. Jill and I both scored 25% off! Next we popped over to the cafe, but since it was almost 2:00, we happily settled for sundaes instead of soup for lunch since they were no longer serving traditional lunch options. Both of us had breves as well. Grocery Kart and the feed store finished our shopping day. Took our daily downtime once we were home. Then I put pheasant gumbo in the instant pot. Rice, potato salad, cornbread made with freshly milled corn flour/cornmeal, and lettuce salad rounded out our “Southern” supper. Leftover pie and new tubs of ice cream by the fire for dessert ended a perfectly lovely day


11-19 Saturday

I’m gonna miss these easy mornings of vacation… A slice of cherry pie and coffee in my favorite “DonHeim” vintage mug for starters. Cleaned up the main areas and sat by the fire. It’s stayed nice and chilly, mostly in the 20s the whole time we’ve been here which has been FANTASTIC. Getting in on a bit of real winter just makes my heart happy. Fixed my “usual” for lunch at Jill’s Café.  Homemade sourdough turkey sandwich, fresh refrigerator pickles, a bowl of homemade thick Greek style yogurt topped with homemade granola and fresh fruit, with kombucha to drink! Now how’s that for a nutritious and delicious probiotic-happy meal?! The kids had pizza lunchables today. Annie brought Becca over to play for a couple hours. She, Danielle, Mason, and I got in the swim spa for a last blissful swim. Then I got more laundry done up, and started packing everything up. Daniel brought in some beautiful venison tomahawk steaks and put them in marinade to be grilled for supper. Jill made finger jello, and I cut up some carrot sticks to dip in ranch. We also had corn and leftover Yukon gold potatoes. More pie and ice cream for dessert. Such a good supper; everyone was in a jolly mood too. Ended up hanging out rather late, enjoying the fire and friendship.


11-20 Sunday

Happy Birthday, Kate Ryan! Sad to miss her party which was yesterday. I hope no more kids in our family end up with “Hunting Season” birthdays! My alarm rang at 5:00 to get up and packed up. We said our sad goodbyes and were on the road, watching the sunrise shortly after 6:00. Felt almost surreal to arrive at Justin and Tommi’s place around noon instead of to just share locations as we went SO closely right on by! So so good to be with them and their kiddos and eat lunch together! Tommi had made a feast! Delicious Chicken, mashed taters, green bean casserole, garlic knots, lettuce salad, apple Snickers salad, and pumpkin crumble with whipped cream! They guys went driving around, while the rest of us enjoyed hanging out at home. Danielle was so pumped with all of Ashley’s toys and the thick layer of ice on the pool! Reluctantly, we got on the road again around 3:30, but with another fun destination in the gps! Pulled into Drew’s after dark, and after hello hugs, we got right to eating just like old times! Pulled pork nachos, sliced apples, orange julius, and our famous Key lime pie! The years have passed, but some things never change! After lots of laughing and reminiscing, we crawled into bed, more than happy we were stopping to make more memories instead of doggedly driving straight through!


3 comments:

  1. It all sounds delicious!😋 I enjoyed our oh so brief bit of fun at the trampoline park. Come again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun, tasty vacation! 😋

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Eating Season Chronicles! ❄️🦌😋

    ReplyDelete