Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Breakfast à la Française



French Hot Chocolate. Classic dark European-style hot chocolate

Today was the day to finally try this recipe which had been hibernating on my Paris Pinterest board ever since I pinned it while gathering ideas for my focus-city themed classroom years ago! Since it is still February, aka "Month of Love & Romance & Chocolate," the timing felt right!  And was it ever decadent! Sadly, I did not have bittersweet chocolate on hand and therefore had to substitute with semisweet and (gulp) even some milk chocolate! But nevertheless, it slid down the hatch very smoothly! I'm sure the copious amounts of whipping cream aided in that department... I sipped it whilst tearing off pieces of a crusty baguette leftover from Joe Pattie's that I warmed in the microwave and then toasted in the toaster oven, and felt ever so French as I enjoyed my very Parisian breakfast. But eventually the conjured images of the Eiffel Tower faded into the reality of the very American Monday that was before me. A Mondayish Monday brim-full of attempting to work from home, continuously feeding my ever-scavenging toddler, gathering groceries in local ole Atmore, laundering our soiled clothing, and preparing grub for growling middles. But looking back, it was a good Monday! Although seeing the City of Light is most definitely on my bucket list, I wouldn't trade my little world in Walnut Hill for anything! 
Bonjour!

French Hot Chocolate

The most decadent dark hot chocolate recipe that tastes just like the French hot chocolate found in Paris cafés. Intense, rich, and absolute heaven for any chocolate lover. Recipe based off of the famous Café Angelina in Paris.
YIELD: 2 large, intense cups or 4 smaller ones
 
PREP TIME: 3 minutes
 
COOK TIME: 5 minutes
 
TOTAL TIME: 8 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional, but delicious for intensifying chocolate flavor)
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, at least 70%, chopped*
  • Giant bowl of whipped cream, for serving

Directions:

  1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the whole milk, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and espresso powder until small bubbles appear around the edges. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
  2. Remove from saucepan from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until melted, returning the sauce to low heat if needed for the chocolate to melt completely. Serve warm, topped with lots of whipped cream.


5 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious!!! I'm thinking it would pair well with a plate full of crepes������

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to find out hot chocolate is such a big deal in France! I don't ever remember seeing it on any menus. Then again, if I could have actually read the menu it might have helped!!😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that they don’t call it “hot cocoa” like we do! They say “le chocolat chaud” so guess you can scan for that next time! 😁

      Delete
  3. Alas, not for the lactose intolerant :(

    ReplyDelete